Location – London
Our client are top ten-ranked auditors and tax advisers based in Canary Wharf. With in-depth expertise in many fields of tax, accountancy and finance, they work for clients ranging from large, listed corporates and SMEs to individuals, their families and their businesses.
The division provides VAT, corporate tax compliance, personal tax compliance and consultancy services to a wide range of clients and prides itself on the quality of service, high degree of professionalism and personal approach that is offered to each and every client.
The primary role will be to advise the clients and staff of the firm on matters of indirect taxation.
It is anticipated that the successful candidate will play a part in the development of the practice, assisting and supporting the Indirect Tax Director and other senior members of the team. There will be elements of both administrative and project work. In the department, there are usually a number of projects going on at any one time, with a lot of smaller queries to be dealt with at the same time.
Client portfolio (60%):
- Advising on UK VAT issues affecting international businesses
- Advising on liability queries, treatment of expenditure, partial exemption and business/non-business
- Advising on UK VAT property issues
- Dealing with ad hoc VAT questions from clients and colleagues on a broad range of issues emanating from a wide variety of clients
- Researching on legislation and case law
- Advising on import/export procedures and duty rates
- Liaising directly with clients, usually by phone or Zoom/Teams
- Dealing with VAT registrations
- Preparing VAT returns and annual adjustments
Special work/ad hoc assignments (20%):
- Due diligence
- Opportunities to train staff on VAT matters
- Investigation and resolution of indirect tax queries
Technical and departmental administration (10%):
- General management of tasks, including engagements, client intakes etc
- Monitoring WIP and bill as appropriate
- Keeping up to date with indirect taxation standards and developments and undertaking training within the team
Business development (10%):
- Contributing to publications
- Contributing to seminars for clients and our client’s other international firms
- To identify potential sources of work from existing and potential new clients
Skills and attributes
- ATT or CTA desirable
- Proven technical skills in VAT work, ideally gained in practice
- Basic accounting knowledge desirable
- Computer literate