Location – London
Our client’s Deals Tax team works closely with their Deals practice to advise on the tax implications of all aspects of transactions, including Mergers & Acquisition, Business Recovery Services and Real Estate. Part of the wider Corporate Tax network, they work collaboratively across specialisms to drive value and help clients succeed at all stages of the deal lifecycle.
The role sits within the Mergers and Acquisition (M&A) Tax team, the largest specialist team in the firm’s global Deals Tax network. The team operates on a national basis so that no matter where individuals are located, they bring the best experts to their clients and the broadest range of opportunities to their people. The team’s client base is truly international, and they pride themselves on the strength of their network.
Our client’s team is fuelled by open and curious minds who are passionate about their work. As part of the team, you’ll experience unparalleled opportunities to develop your career. You’ll work on complex and challenging projects and gain experience working with prestigious and diverse clients – from high profile multinational organisations and private equity firms to start-ups and owner-managed businesses.
Our client is looking for an experienced Manager to join the UK Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) tax team and specialise in stamp taxes. The role can be performed remotely and so you can be based in any of the firm’s national offices. You will be called upon to play a key role in delivering quality stamp tax advice (stamp duty, land and buildings transaction tax, land transaction tax, annual tax on enveloped dwellings, stamp duty reserve tax etc) on M&A transactions.
As a stamp tax specialist, you would also be part of the UK stamp taxes network, which has over 30 specialists around the UK and advises on transactions in a range of areas, including real estate, corporate reorganisations, financial services, private clients / private business, FTSE 100 and multinationals.
The services and products provided by the stamp specialists in the M&A Tax team are principally consulting on stamp duty and stamp duty reserve tax on shares (with limited tax compliance) and include:
- Performing Tax Due Diligence reviews which involve looking at existing and potential tax issues, tax compliance and tax risks for clients wishing to sell/acquire businesses.
- Provide Tax advice to help clients operate their business in the most tax efficient manner e.g. optimal acquisition or disposal structures from stamp perspective.
- Deal Implementation, to assist with appropriate documentation of deals, in accordance with the proposed Tax advice.
- Tax advice for IPOs and capital raisings, including documentation and implementation.
- Pre and post deal services, including assisting clients with stamp aspects of pre and post-acquisition restructuring
You will be expected to work under your own initiative and draw on your own and other teams’ expertise to deliver the stamp tax aspects of Deals and help solve problems. Key aspects include liaising effectively with other advisers and managing and developing relationships with clients and members of the team.
The role offers high levels of responsibility, the satisfaction of working on interesting and challenging assignments, and participation in a successful team as well as opportunities to develop new offerings and ways of delivering stamp tax advice for clients.
Your day to day duties will include:
- Managing stamp tax advice and implications on an ever changing deal portfolio.
- Delivering bespoke stamp tax advice.
- Working on a range of transactions with the M&A Tax Team, and other parts of the firm (FS, PBPC etc) and building these relationships.
- Raising the profile of stamp taxes on deals, to ensure opportunities are captured.
- Working closely with other members of the Stamp Taxes Network on a wide variety of deals.
Skills and attributes
- Tax or legal experience
- Evidence of managing projects for key clients
- Experience in building and leveraging internal and external relationships and networks
- An ability to plan and deliver work against tight deadlines
- Developed communication skills, specifically in negotiating with and influencing others